Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Sketching Letters

Whew, is it really OCTOBER? Pardon my two month disappearance! I have been a busy bee, hard at work on all sorts of projects, sketches, ideas, vacationing, home renovations, you name it.

After my First Steps of Hand Lettering class earlier this year, I completed the follow up course, The Final Steps of Hand-Lettering: Color & Texture. This class was taught by the same awesome instructor, Mary Kate McDevitt, and it really was inspiring to see how she works. Though I didn't get around to formally finishing my project on the site, I did see one sketch through to completion.


Since then, I've been quietly practicing, observing and putting ideas down on paper. I thought I'd let ya'll take a peek into the ol' notebook. Please give me some feedback :D

Remember that vacation I mentioned? Guess where we went?


I wouldn't mind doing some more refined sketches with this one, and trying out some Miami-inspired colors. (No, I didn't go to Miami, but I'm not really what kind of colors Ocean City, MD brings to mind, do you?)

For the first part of vacation, I sadly was not feeling 100%. In fact, I was downright miserable. But at least I put my misery to work and came up with a nice drawing. This one I definitely plan to refine and ink! 


And finally, as I am a giant running nerd, I always go back to my passion. Here are some simple sketches. Just need to figure out which ones to move forward with.


Thus ends my tour de notebook. Up next, I'll share some of my work from the Lynda.com 21-day drawing challenge. Boy was that super fun! I'd also like to do a new tutorial soon. Taking suggestions!


No comments: